Roof Renewal/Replacement in Brighton & Hove
Minor roof damage can be repaired fairly quickly and easily. However, it’s advisable to have a roof inspection carried out by a specialised roofer every two years. Small roof problems, if left over time, can escalate into serious structural damage. A roofing expert will be able to identify underlying damage that may not be immediately apparent.
MB Roofing has over 30 years experience in all aspects of roof repairs. Our experts can advise you on the level of damage to your roof and provide you with an efficient, professional service using the highest quality materials, whether it’s just one tile or a complete roof replacement. No job is too large or too small.
Re-cover Or Replace?
Depending on the level of damage, many leaks, flashings and tiles can be repaired. But if the roof is sagging and the underlying structure is unstable, then the damage is irreversible and the entire roofing system will need to be renewed.
Major structural damage can be the result of bad installation and workmanship, using the wrong materials for the type of building or simply through age.
The cost of a complete roof replacement can vary depending on the size and pitch of the roof, accessibility and the types of materials used.
- Completely removing the existing roof and replacing it with a new one.
- Re-covering the existing roof with a new one. This can be less expensive than roof replacement but it’s not a long-term option. Depending on your geographical location and the condition of the existing roof, recovery may not be viable. In many cases aged roofs are just too far gone and will need complete replacement.
So what’s actually involved in roof replacement?
The main components of a pitched roof are:
- Covering – tiles, slate or shingle
- Sheathing – boards or sheeting fastened to rafters to cover the property
- Rafters and trusses roof supports
- Flashings – lead sheets installed in joints along the roof system to prevent water seepage
- Soffit – board beneath the roof overhang which often has ventilation vents
- Fascia – long straight board that runs along the roof edge
- Drainage – guttering, slope and design of roof and it’s ability to shed water efficiently
- Ventilation – essential for preventing moisture, damp, mould and rot and for a longer lasting roof
Once the old tiles and flashings have been removed, the rafters and joists are inspected and if signs of rot are present they’ll be need to be replaced. A new breathable membrane will be installed, any rotten fascias, soffits and broken guttering will be replaced and adequate ventilation and insulation will be added.
MB Roofing is a Trust Mark approved, government endorsed contractor. Every two years our work is randomly inspected by government inspectors. We are also members and approved contractors of Brighton and Hove Trading Standards. For a reliable, local roofing specialist, contact us today for a free, no-obligation estimate.